Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mission Successful

This weekend I went looking for parts for the 1200. After going to a few bike shops previously, I figured that the group I wanted to put on it, shimano 105, would cost about $900. While this might sound like a lot, it's actually less than I would have paid if I bought the group online rather than through the shop. In addition, my family gets a discount because we are Potomac Pedalers. 

However, when we went to The Bike Club, we were surprised to learn that we could get some older parts for less, a lot less. We were able to pick and choose what we wanted, and we bought parts that were a little worn, but still good. In fact, we got shimano 600, the predecessor to ultegra, for $240, including labor. 

There is an important caveat. We got a $100 credit for the parts that came off the 1200 and two wheels that we no longer had any use for. In the end, we paid $200 cash along with the $100 credit. 

The mechanics at The Bike Club were extremely helpful, and they let me help mount many of the components on the frame. They were knowledgable and I recommend them to anyone trying to restore a bike. They have many, many older components collected over the years by their owner. 


Looking for parts in the shop is like a treasure hunt and a history lesson all in one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment